Protecting your privacy.
Improving your shopping experience.
Your trust is very important to us.
That's why we aim to be clear and transparent about why we collect information, the information we collect, how we use that information, and the choices you have regarding our use of it. We can also collect, use and share aggregate or anonymous data that does not identify you.
We collect that information to save you time and money, and to make your shopping experience better.
- We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it
- We are transparent about how and why we collect information
- The information we collect helps us provide value to our customers that include savings and enhancing their shopping experience
We are also committed to ensuring that our communications are accessible to people with disabilities. To make accessibility-related requests, please contact us at 1-800-KRO-GERS (1-800-576-4377).
Why We Collect Your Information
To Improve•Providing products and services that enhancing your shopping experience with us, in-store and online•Developing new products and services to meet your needs
Below are examples of how data we collect, use, and share helps us create a better, safer experience in our stores and on our websites.
- Providing products and services that enhancing your shopping experience with us, in-store and online
- Developing new products and services to meet your needs
- Better understanding your use of our products, services and websites
- Determining your satisfaction with our programs and services
- Handling customer service cases
- Analyzing the performance of our products, services, and retail experiences and looking for ways to make them better
- Sending relevant information and personalized ads and other communications, including ways to save on items you buy most often or that you might like based on your past behavior
- Providing personalized content and experiences on our websites, mobile apps and mail
- Displaying personalized offers, information and ads from The Kroger Co. or our marketing partners (as defined in "How We Share Your Information") on other websites and mobile apps
- Sending product recall notifications to help keep you and your family safe
- Responding to your comments, requests, questions, and applications for career opportunities
- Processing payments securely
- Fulfilling orders correctly
- Safeguarding the property or other rights of our customers, associates and the company
- Legal compliance for purchase of certain products or where otherwise required by law
Learn More About How We Use Information We Collect
We use the categories of personal information described in “What Personal Information We Collect” to support the following use cases:
- Providing product or service functionality that you have requested
- To send marketing communications such as product discounts and personalized promotions and special offers
- To communicate with you about orders, purchases, returns, services, accounts, programs, contests and sweepstakes
- Responding to communications you send us
- Assisting you with customer service requests and inquiries
- Development and distribution of new products and services like mobile applications or grocery delivery
- Completing e-commerce transactions
- Delivering advertisements and promotions to you after you have visited our website, used one of our mobile applications, or otherwise engaged with us online
- Targeting advertisements for Kroger products, services, promotions, and other business activities you may be interested in
- Developing statistics on engagement with our online properties and measuring how well our marketing and promotional activities perform
- Identifying and preventing fraud or identity theft
- Maintain appropriate records for internal administrative and other business purposes
- Facilitate the functionality of our websites and mobile applications
- Provide notice of product recalls
- At times Kroger may provide third parties with certain personal information to provide or improve our products and services, including to deliver products at your request, or to help Kroger market to consumers. When we do, we require those third parties to handle it in accordance with relevant laws. Personal information will never be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes. For example, when you order grocery delivery, you select a third party delivery service and you authorize Kroger to exchange the information you provide during the order process to carry out the requested services.
- Other purposes as described to you at the time
How We Collect Your Information
What Personal Information We Collect. Here are the categories of personal information we may collect from you or about you:
What Personal Information We Collect.
Here are the categories of personal information we may collect from you or about you:
- Unique Personal Identifiers that may include but are not limited to your legal name or preferred alias, online identifiers like user account names, state and federal government ID number (where required), and your signature
- Demographic information like your level of education, type of employment, information about your health, information about insurance coverage you might carry, or other demographic information shared with us through third parties, such as social media or publicly available sources
- Contact Information such as your email or postal address and phone number
- Financial and payment Information like your bank account, credit and debit card numbers and your credit history
- Behavioral Information such as your purchase and transaction histories, geolocation data IP Address collected from your computers and mobile devices, and information about what you do online, including your interactions with our social media posts
- Inferences we make about you like demographic interest segment that we believe are relevant to you and your household based on analysis of other information we have collected
- Video and CCTV recordings from inside our facilities for use in fraud investigations or other store operations
- Call center recordings or monitoring records from our customer contact centers
- Other types of personal information that we may disclose to you prior to the point of first collection
There is also some personal information that you voluntarily share with us. This includes information used to register for our loyalty program or to create an account on our websites. For example:
- Name, address, phone and email
- Payment information
- Communication and shopping preferences
- An encrypted version of your password
- Driver's license number for certain types of sales and for ID verification
Our websites are for a general audience and are not geared toward children. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16 without prior consent of a parent or guardian. If you believe your child may have disclosed personally identifiable information to us, please call 1-800-KRO-GERS (1-800-576-4377) and we will remove it.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect some information when you visit our stores, websites or use our mobile apps, or when you use our online services or view our online advertisements. The information we may collect falls into three different main categories: (1) information you give us; (2) information we collect from you automatically; and (3) information we collect from other sources. These other sources may be service providers, data brokers, consumer research firms, publicly available sources, or other third parties with whom you interact or do business. For example, when you connect to one of our websites or mobile apps through a third party, we may collect information from their website. For example, if you choose to associate your social media identity with The Kroger Co., the site may provide us with certain information from your social media account as permitted by your account settings.
Associating Personal Information from Multiple Source
We may collect this information and link it to other information we already know about you. For example, when you sign up for our loyalty program, we may associate your in-store shopping activity with your online activity when you engage with our websites or mobile apps. Additionally, when you are logged in to our websites or use our mobile apps, we may link the device IDs or types to your account to understand your online activity.
This includes pages you visit on our websites, items you add to your online shopping list, coupons you download and redeem from us, and purchase information. In addition, we may collect information when you use our mobile apps, including device location (if you choose to turn this feature on). If you choose to connect to our in-store wireless service, we may collect websites you visit and your mobile device identifier so you can automatically be connected.
Cookies, web beacons and other technology
When you visit our websites, access our mobile apps or open one of our emails, we may automatically collect information about you using tracking technologies, including:
- Internet Protocol address
- Unique device or user ID
- System and browser type
- Referring website address
- Content and pages you access on our websites or mobile apps
- Dates, times and locations when actions take place
We use this technology for system administration and troubleshooting, to identify you so we can enhance your online experience, and to deliver targeted advertising. Our sites do not respond to browser Do-Not-Track signals. These cookies are often collected by or otherwise shared with service providers as well as third party advertising partners, as described further in our About Advertising section below.
To manage your cookie preferences, click
How We Protect Your Information
We implement and maintain reasonable security practices and procedures appropriate to the nature of the information we maintain, including appropriate technical, administrative and physical procedures to prevent loss, misuse or alteration of your information.
We implement and maintain reasonable security practices and procedures appropriate to the nature of the information we maintain, including appropriate technical, administrative and physical procedures to prevent loss, misuse or alteration of your information. For example, we use Transport Layer Security (TLS/SSL) to encrypt certain sensitive personal information we exchange with you. That way, access to data is limited through the use of technological safeguards. We also comply with payment card industry data security standards for the processing of credit and debit card transactions.
We encourage you to use complex passwords and to change them regularly. While we use both passwords and usernames to protect information online, we also take reasonable steps to protect your information offline. Only Associates who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to our customers’ data. Associates who violate customer privacy safeguards are subject to disciplinary action, including termination.
Retention and Deletion of Personal Information
We store personal information we’ve collected from or about you:
- Where you have created an account on our website or one of our mobile applications, for as long as you maintain your account
- As long as required by law or as needed to enable us to exercise our rights and perform our obligations under our applicable terms of service, including this privacy notice
- Long enough to enable us to contact you with recalls and other safety related information that relates to products you have bought from us
Your Communications Preferences, Privacy Rights and Choices
We value our relationship with you, and communications are an important part of that relationship.
We understand that our customers are individuals, and communications preferences will vary by customer. That is why we offer you the ability to manage what types of communications you receive from us, and the ability to manage or change your preferences. Here’s how you can do so:
Email, Mobile, and Online Communications
If you have an online account with The Kroger Co., you can manage your subscriptions to email, mobile and online communications programs, such as our Weekly Ad and Specials & Promotions emails, via your Communications Preferences.
If you would prefer that your purchase history not be used to personalize advertising you already receive online, on mobile devices or in other digital channels, you can choose and manage your preferences via your Communications Settings or contact us through the methods described in this privacy notice. Please allow a reasonable amount of time for any changes to your settings to take effect.
You can control your exposure to most interest-based advertising through the Digital Advertising Alliance, a group that has developed self-regulatory principles for interest-based advertising. Visit YourAdChoices.com for more information. In addition, some websites (such as Facebook) offer the ability to opt out of interest-based advertising directly on their sites. Please allow a reasonable amount of time for any changes to take effect.
Your Rights and Choices
Nevada Privacy Rights
If you live in Nevada, you can opt out of the sale of your personal information by contacting us. Our customer contact center personnel will take your request and keep you up to date on the progress of your request.
California Privacy Rights
California defines personal information as information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household.
If you live in California, you have some additional rights with respect to certain Personal Information we collect about you. This includes:
- Learn about the categories of personal information we have collected from or about you in the past 12 months
- Get a copy of personal information that we have collected from or about you no more than twice every 12 months
- Learn about the kinds of third party service providers we hire to help with internal business functions
- Obtain the categories of personal information that we may have sold or otherwise shared in the past 12 months
- Learn about the categories of third parties we may have sold your personal information to
- Request that your Personal Information be removed from our systems
- Opt out from our sales of personal information
- Lodge complaints about the way we handle your personal information
You can make requests to receive copies of Personal Information and to have Personal Information deleted on behalf of members of your household by submitting requests on their behalf along with written authorization from each member of your household.
You can also submit requests through an agent (like a membership organization you belong to, your attorney, or someone else you trust) that you have authorized in writing to act on your behalf. To do so you’ll need to either execute a power of attorney with them to act on your behalf or give your agent your written authorization to do so.
Either way, we will need to verify your identity if you want copies of your personal information, to know about what categories of personal information we collect and sell, or have your personal information deleted. We will ask you to provide several data points to match against the information we have in our systems so that we can be sure that we are revealing potentially sensitive information about the things that you buy in our stores only to people who are entitled to receive it.
If you’re making requests on behalf of your household, we will also need to verify the identities of each member of your household.
In order to exercise these rights, contact us through one of the methods described in “Contacting Our Privacy Program” below. Requests are generally free of charge, and we will generally process your request within 45 days unless we have a specific reason for an extension of time. If for any reason we cannot fulfil your request in whole or in part, we will also let you know.
As part of our Loyalty program, we do provide discounts and financial incentives to individuals who enroll. When you sign up for our loyalty program, you can give us your loyalty ID at the cash register or online to get discounts on products you purchase and services we think you would be interested in based on your purchase history. You can also earn fuel points that give you discounts at participating gas stations. We select and personalize coupons, promotions, and other discounts or offers, based on what you buy and the stores and e-commerce portals you may use. Signing up for the program indicates your consent to the use or sale of information we need to identify the most relevant coupons, promotions, and other discounts or offers we present to you.
The information we have collected about our loyalty program members enables us to deliver personalized offers and value to our customers, which helps us establish a relationship with our customers and is valued by Kroger as part of our focus on the customer experience. In determining the value of this data to Kroger, we consider the profit generated from the solutions or products that include personal information (as defined by CCPA), which is reasonably correlated to the value provided to the consumer through personalized coupons, promotions, and other discounts or offers.
Our core data analytics solutions and models for internal and commercial applications primarily use anonymized customer data. These programs are valuable to us to understand what matters to you, our customer. These allow us to deliver relevant value to our customers. As part of our Loyalty program, our best customers currently save $699 per year on average.
Participation in these programs is voluntary. After joining our loyalty program, if you wish to opt out of the loyalty program or wish to opt out of the sale of your personal information to support the program, you can contact our privacy office for assistance. While we will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under CCPA, if you request deletion of your data, we will not be able to send you personalized coupons, promotions, and other discounts or offers or marketing communications. For example, we may no longer be able to send or share with you, personalized coupon mailers or personalized digital offers.
Sales of Personal Information
Kroger is committed to delivering great products, great experiences and great value. From time to time, we leverage your data to understand the most relevant product recommendations and deliver marketing messages and personalized offers. Under California law, some of these efforts may be considered a "sale" of personal information to those analytics and advertising partners that help us match your interests with brands who want to send promotions that we believe save you money on products you buy frequently, and help you discover new products that you might like. When we work with these companies, your privacy, data integrity and security remain a priority. Our normal practice is to have contractual limits on their future use of your personal information and only provide the minimum data necessary to accomplish the personalization task and deliver a better experience and value to you as our customer. We also facilitate your right to opt out of this data sharing. In order to exercise the right to opt out of sale, click on our Do Not Sell My Personal Information link below, or contact us through one of the methods described in "Contacting Our Privacy Program" section below.
Contacting Our Privacy Program
Our customer contact centers are ready to take your requests. If you have any questions, privacy requests, or complaints about how we collect, use, share, or otherwise handle your personal information you can reach us by telephone at 1-800-KRO-GERS (1-800-576-4377) or click here to exercise your privacy rights.
3800 SE 22nd Ave.
Portland, OR 97202